Curriculum Vitæ of Justin Bell
Born in 1981
Residing in Wellington, New Zealand
I strive to create functional websites that provide value to the client and user, are accessible, easy to use, yet still possess creative flair.
Freelance Web Designer & Developer
2001–2003, 2005–2007: I developed websites for various businesses including Business New Zealand Inc., Precision Ltd., and Casting Technology New Zealand Inc.
Nutcracker Communications contracted me for two large projects, involving PHP and MySQL, where I was the sole developer.
Statistics New Zealand: New Media Applications Developer
2002–2005: My role at Statistics New Zealand involved:
- helping co-workers with HTML problems
- developing templates and mock-up web pages
- developing web applications using ASP, XML, and XSLT
- customisation of commercial web applications
- problem-solving issues with content management systems
- focusing attention to accessibility, usability, and standards compliance issues
- incorporating the e-govt guidelines into project development and workflows.
Skills & Qualifications
I have experience in the full spectrum of web design and development including:
- server-side scripting
- server administration
- usability and accessibility
- information architecture
- visual design and branding
In addition to my extensive web experience, I also have experience in graphic design for print, photography, video editing, and 3D modeling and animation.
I am adept at using Windows and Mac OS, and have some experience with Linux.
- Diploma of Multimedia, April 2001, NatColl Design Technology.
- Diploma of Computer Graphic Design, March 2000, NatColl Design Technology.
- NZQA unit standard in Interpersonal Communications, level 2.
- NZQA unit standard in Writing, level 3.
I have an online portfolio and a print portfolio (available on request) containing projects completed during my Computer Graphic Design and Multimedia courses.
- XML and XSLT
- Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe InDesign and PageMaker
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Premiere and After Effects
- Macromedia Coldfusion
- Macromedia Dreamweaver
- Macromedia Fireworks
- Macromedia Flash and Director
- Marcomedia Freehand
- Microsoft Office
- NewTek LightWave 3D
- Fast learner and self-taught.
- Understand the importance of web accessibility and standards.
- Understand that valid HTML should also have semantic meaning.
- Realise the need for balance between style and functionality.
- Understand the role psychology plays in visual design and user interaction.
- Concise writing skills for web environments.
- Experienced with user testing.
My hobbies include photography, design, mountain biking, radio controlled helicopters, and tinkering with electronics and hardware.
Other interests of mine include architecture, music (including classical), industrial design, psychology, technology, art (da Vinci, Dali, and M.C. Escher), and science.
I also keep an interest in open source projects such as Mozilla Firefox and Wikipedia.
Contact details for referees available on request.